Executive Officers & Executive Chairs
Capital Bears 2018 Open Positions
2018 Election Day
Sunday, February 25th The Pride Center
The Pride Center, 1620 Pleasant St #244, Des Moines, IA 50314
10:00am - Capital Bear Potluck - Bring a dish to share!
11:00am - 1:00pm - Capital Bear 2018 Elections and Planning Meeting
The Capital Bears will be holding elections for the open Executive Cabinet positions in February 2018. The Capital Bears Executive Cabinet is made up of 5 Executive Officers and 6 Executive Chairs.
We have 6 positions open this year for various terms.
President - 2 Year Term
Secretary - 2 Year Term
Sports League Chair - 2 Year Term
Bylaws Chair - 2 Year Term
Social Media Admin Chair - 1 Year Term
Capital City Pride Chair - 3 Year Term
Capital Bears Executive Officer and Chair Nomination Application.
Please provide your information in writing to indicate your interest in a Capital Bears position.
Submit a written application requesting to be added to the ballot by the January 5, 2018 11:59PM Central Time Deadline to the Chair of the 2018 Election - Vice President Brian Ryerson
How? (One of any method outlined below)
Submit Application Form to the right.
Email your interest to
Hand-deliver to Vice President Brian Ryerson
Mail for receipt to our PO Box at Capital Bears, PO Box 144, Des Moines, IA 50301 by the deadline.
If your application is received within the parameters above you will be invited to attend the Capital Bears January 2018 Planning Meeting. At this meeting you will have the opportunity to campaign for the position. The meeting will be held on January 21, 2018 at 12:00pm, Central Time, The Pride Center, 1620 Pleasant St #244, Des Moines, IA 50314.
You are encouraged to review the bylaws and officer positions on this election website.
Current Officers and Chairs whose terms are up for election need to submit an application if they want to run for an additional term.
We welcome all members of the Capital Bears who fully believe in the mission of the organization to run for any position.
Executive Officers and Executive Chairs are expected to fulfill the following duties during their term of office:
• Ensure that their schedule will allow attendance at the majority of monthly board meetings as defined by roles in the Capital Bear Bylaws.
• Review any provided background materials provided before the meeting in preparation of meeting discussion and decision-making.
• Volunteer at Capital Bears sponsored events, service in additional capacties on committees, or fulfill other needs as they arise.
• Be an advocate for the organization.
• Take care of The Capital Bears by ensuring prudent use of all assets, including facilities, people, and good will; and provide oversight for all activities that advance the organization's effectiveness and sustainability.
• Make decisions in the best interest of the Capital Bears; not in their self-interest.
• Ensure that the Capital Bears obeys applicable laws and acts in accordance with ethical practices; that Capital Bears adheres to its stated corporate purposes, and that its activities and events advance its mission.
Thank you for your interest.
Vice President, Chair of 2018 Capital Bears Even Year Elections
Submit Your Application
I will commit to the following by submitting this application:
Ensure that I can attend the majority of the monthly board meetings.
Prepare for discussion at meetings by reviewing agenda and reviewing any proposed discussion items.
Volunteer as as I am able to help ensure smooth operations of the organization's activities.
Prepare a brief introducation and background with the Capital Bears, other LGBTQIA+ organizations, and reason for running for selected positions.